Monday 28 July 2008

my fish

"Jap fish" a blend of old school & new

a early test board [quad fish]
this is my "Jap-Fish" .... we had an idea and painted a red one, green, purple + we couldn't keep them around. sold.sold. I been working on Fish designs since 2000. And i wanted to create a fish that could bridge the gap between tiny waves and overhead. So i knew the quad fin set up would really help the transition to bigger surf. i heard a famous shaper say: "you more often then not are riding small surf. and when the surf gets bigger your actually more comfortable on your small wave board." So that thought took me to designing a fish than can handle small + big surf. I just get such a rush out of spoting a guys face as i pull into a solid overhead barrel on a fish.
A few years ago in Hossegor, France.... i had shaped a quad fish. And i was waiting on the rest of my quiver to be glassed. So, 1 fish was plenty of board for me to have while i waited. Then we got a big swell, almost double overhead, in July! So i am making this quad fish work, as i've no choise. Later, the wave of the day; was this UK pro longboarder taking too many set waves on the peak... so i snuck in beside him and made the drop on this bomb. I gave him a real scare when i yelled at him from iniside the barrel. I paddled up after, "you're not the only guy who can surf out here." And he said sorry so many times, i lost count!

No comments: